Goal: Create a dynamic entrepreneurial eco-system to identify, support, and expand new businesses, create new jobs and attract investment in Buffalo.
Creating A Dynamic Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
Creating a thriving entrepreneurial culture is a critical component to BNMC’s mission of furthering economic growth, igniting urban revitalization and building a strong, thriving community. Using our MutualCity methodology of collaboration, resource sharing, and creative problem solving, our goal is to encourage, develop, and support new and growing businesses and the creation of jobs.
Located primarily at the Innovation Center powered by BNMC, our business development efforts facilitate collaboration among diverse groups through placemaking, education, and networking. We believe that bringing entrepreneurs, business leaders, and students together to share ideas and skills will fuel innovation, leading to the next generation of great Buffalo companies.
- We offer a continuum of resources for every stage of business development, including for those who just have an idea, to those who are much farther along in the development and commercialization of a product, technology platform, or service.
- The Innovation Center, with over 180,000 square feet of space in three buildings, is home to 100+ businesses, some of which are the fastest growing, most successful companies and start-ups in the region. The self-contained ecosystem includes idea generators, business modelers, start-ups, service providers, and scaling, post-launch companies.
- A certified NYS business incubator, the Innovation Center has quickly become know as the epicenter of entrepreneurial activity on the Medical Campus and is a key driver in the region’s start-up efforts. In addition to mentoring and business development services, the Innovation Center includes:
- Office & wet lab space (month-to-month and longer term);
- dig (Design Innovation Garage), the region’s largest cowork space;
- Learn, classroom-style space for offering educational programs and workshops;
- New business accelerators including 43 North, the world’s largest idea competition, and Z80 Labs; and
- Networking events including Beakers & Beer, Start Up Grind, and others.
- We help businesses make connections to other state-of-the-art research and development space on the Medical Campus, including Roswell Park Cancer Institute, the Jacobs Institute, UB’s NYS Center for Bioinformatics & Life Sciences and UB’s Clinical and Translational Research Center; Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute; Buffalo Manufacturing Works, and others.
- Drawing on the resources of the Medical Campus, our primary focus is in the areas of health care, technology, life sciences, manufacturing and energy, however, we work with a varied group of entrepreneurs, including social entrepreneurs and local residents to help develop and grow their businesses.